Running 115 minutes (without a break), Mathematical Reasoning consists of two sections:
(1) First Five Questions – Calculator Prohibited
• Number Sense (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, plus a little more)
(2) Remaining Questions – Calculator Allowed
• All Content
Mathematical Reasoning encompasses two major content areas:
(1) Quantitative Problem Solving (45%)
(2) Algebra (55%)
Mathematical Reasoning requires you to have a “deep” rather than “shallow” understanding of math fundamentals. Some questions will test only one skill in one topic.
Other questions will test your ability to combine more than one skill in more than one topic.
Although the Mathematical Reasoning module does provide a Formula Sheet to help with calculations involving algebra and geometry, this sheet is limited in such areas as:
(1) Not specifying supplementary formulas related to provided formulas.
For example, the provided formula for the Pythagorean Theorem is a² + b² = c².
In order to answer questions pertaining to the Pythagorean Theorem, you will need to be familiar with such supplementary formulas as c = √c² .
(2) Not necessarily providing guidance regarding order of operations.
For example, because of order of operations, the way in which you enter numbers into the calculator can have a major impact on division involving scientific notation:
9.5 × 108 ÷ 4.75 × 10-7 = 20
(9.5 × 108) ÷ (4.75 × 10-7) = 2.0 × 1015
The TI-30XS MultiView Calculator, pictured at the top of this page, is the official
on-screen calculator of the GED. As a supplement to the on-screen calculator, you should bring your own handheld calculator for use in the test. Like the on-screen calculator, your handheld calculator must be a TI-30XS Multiview Scientific Calculator.
No other brand of handheld calculator is allowed.
You should purchase the TI-30XS MultiView Calculator for practicing and studying prior to the test. The TI-30XS MultiView Calculator is available for under $20.00 from many vendors, including Amazon, Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, and Walmart, to name a few.
• Calculator Reference Sheet
• Mathematics Formula Sheet
• Mathematics Symbol Selector
• Multiplication Signs
• Division Signs
• Division by Zero
• Order of Operations
• Number Sense
• Fractions vs. Decimals vs. Percents
• Factors and Multiples
• Square Root
• Cube Root
• Scientific Notation
• Simple Interest
• Total Cost
• Number Line
• Absolute Value
• Inequality Plotting
• Ratio and Proportion
• X-Y Coordinates
• Slope Specials
• Pythagorean Theorem
Math Practice Tests
• Math Practice Test: GED Testing Service
• Math Practice Test I: HowtoPasstheGED.com – Questions
• Math Practice Test I: HowtoPasstheGED.com – Answers
• Math Practice Test II: HowtoPasstheGED.com – Questions
• Math Practice Test II: HowtoPasstheGED.com – Answers